Monday, December 12, 2005

How is everyone's Tannenbaum doing? I need help (already!) getting it to be sized right. I have a big head (hats that are "ine size fits all" never fit me). I had already cast on and started to rib when I saw the diagram sketch on the pattern's last page. It would seem to indicate that the circumference of the hat is 18". If this is true my hat will turn out much too small for me, unless the ribbing stretches a lot! I would appreciate hearing from other people whether their Tannenbaum seems to be a good size. I am tempted to cast on provisionally, skip the ribbing altogether and then add the ribbed band on afterward just to be safe. What do you all think? - Karen

2 Comments:

Blogger --Deb said...

My advice is not to worry too much. As long as the ribbing fits around your head, the hat will likely fit fine. The short-rows in the branches make it VERY forgiving about size. (I can't guarantee that I measured the ribbing correctly, either; it came out slightly different on each of the three I knitted. The diagram doesn't take the ease of the short rows into effect, either--I couldn't figure out HOW I was going to draw that, so I just made it a cone in the picture and left it at that.)

If you're worried about the ribbing being too tight, why don't you do just a plain K1P1 rib instead of the twisted one in the pattern? That will be more "stretchy," and you can try it on before you move on the beads and branches--at that point, if you need more give, it's not that much effort lost.

6:52 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Hi Karen! I have a big (voluptuous?) head and I was definitely worried, as I always am, about starting the ribbing for this hat. Nevertheless, it is quite stretchy and forgiving. Once I made a few inches of progress I could tell it would easily fit the pumpkin, and I was able to proceed without concern.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home